Did you miss some news this past week? Take a look at the top stories that topped the charts:
1. NRPD Officer of the Year: Karl Berg. North Reading resident Karl Berg was given the Officer of the Year award for 2012. Berg had a presence at the North Reading Police Department for 36 years.
2. . Up until Tuesday, North Reading did not have any contested races in this year's local election. However, Joe Veno submitted a letter yesterday requesting to be an official write-in candidate for the School Committee, according to Town Clerk Barbara Stats. Now, three candidates will compete for two seats on the School Committee.
3. Jones Votes No on Transportation Finance Bill. The Massachusetts House approved a transportation finance bill that will raise about $500 million in new taxes, according to Boston.com. House Minority Leader Bradley H. Jones, Jr. was joined by the House Republican Caucus in voting against the bill.
4. Starbucks Planning to Open This Summer. Starbucks hopes to open a North Reading location on Main Street at some point this summer, according to Attorney James Senior, who is representing the landlord of Atlantic Plaza.
5. . Take a look at the latest police log.