The new Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association football playoff schedule will mean a much different schedule for the North Reading High Hornets this year.
The Hornets travel to Ipswich in the season opener and play Hamilton-Wenham in their second game of the year to open the home slate.
Rather than the usual Super Bowl structure that featured teams playing in playoff games after Thanksgiving, the playoffs will start at the beginning of November.
Teams that don’t make the playoffs will play other non-playoff teams in the weeks leading up to the annual Thanksgiving game. The six state championship games will take place after Thanksgiving.Confused – and just want to know the North Reading High schedule? Here’s the schedule for the upcoming varsity football season (please note that North Reading football will play games between Oct. 25 and Thanksgiving, but they won’t find out who they're playing until after the playoff teams are announced at the end of October).
- Friday, Sept. 13 – at Ipswich High School, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Sept. 20 – Hamilton-Wenham High School, 7 p.m. FIRST HOME GAME
- Friday, Sept. 27 – at Newburyport High School, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 4 – Masconomet High School, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 11 – Saugus High School, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 18 – at Triton High School, 7 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 25 – Pentucket Regional High School, 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 28 – Lynnfield High School, 10:30 a.m.